Yahoo!!! 52 rolls of film shot! In a year with only a couple “bumps” in the road. I fully expected them… just not quite the ones that happened.
When I started out… I was shooting 6 rolls, sending them to a lab via Canada Post, then waiting a couple weeks for scans. That made January into March. I should have posted my last roll mid March. I was happy with that arrangement too.
But fate had other ideas… my lab needed to close temporarily… I had rolls to develop and I seriously considered giving up, like pretty much every photography project I ever attempted before. But… dang it I had 5 rolls waiting and one in the camera… I didn’t want to give up!
Plan B right? Find another lab… that really did NOT work out and I had friends saying “just do it yourself, its not hard.” Ummm… yeah… it is… I know nothing about this stuff! What does all the confusing stuff even mean? So… I looked at my bad negs from the lab and thought can I do worse?
Step one, get a scanner… I didn’t make a great choice there… budget model… the Epson V600 (in case I can’t do it. I can always re-sell it right?) My first scans were fairly bad, but better than the lab did… I just needed to learn. I did end up upgrading for 35mm film and using the Epson for medium format only, so it worked out in the end.
Step 2, buy some chemistry… hello Unicolour c41 kit! I mixed it up… then it took a week to build up the courage to try developing. I was sooooo scared, what if I’m doing it wrong? Oh… put on your big girl panties and just do it!
Film sweats!!! Thanks to my friends who encouraged me… seriously, I never would have even tried without that encouragement!
Roll one is in there, the chemistry is in there… oh darn! I spilled blix on my favourite sweater! Am I doing this right? It looked easier on YouTube! So its time to open the tank… I don’t want to… I’m sure I screwed up… there won’t be anything there. Holy Dinah!!! There are photos and the negatives, they look ok! I did it!!! Happy dance.
Fast forward to the harvest from hades and Dad’s illness… I tried to shoot, but didn’t quite finish a roll per week… but it is OK, I allowed myself some slack. It is supposed to be fun, not extra pressure and right now I have a LOT on my plate… breathe… relax…
Now it is January… and I finished shooting my 52 rolls. What a year, so much happened, I grew as a photographer. I even gave B&W a try and successfully developed that! In all honesty the B&W was more difficult than colour… all in all I did ok. Its not perfect, but it is complete and I am happy with it.
My next project is the Frugal Film Project, it has been a blast so far! The other photographers are amazingly talented and diverse. 2019 is going to be amazing. P.S. I know it will be Arpil when this is published…